Introduction to Set Design
Please define: Proscenium stage, thrust stage, black box theatre, Found space, Arena stage.
Thrust Stage = A stage which is surrounded by an audience only in three of their four sides. The fourth side is used as the background. This stage is also known as a platform stage or an open stage.
Black Box Theatre = Also known as an experimental theatre, consists of a simple unadorned stage where the performance takes place. It’s usually a large square room with black walls and a flat floor.The seats can be moved, so that’s why colleges and schools have them.
Found Space = A stage which is improvised wherever there’s a suitable space for the performance to take place. The can be a performance in a nontraditional space like a basement of a building, a side of a hill, or in the street. The stage can be created in a few minutes by putting a carpet and some seats around the space where the performance is going to take place.
Arena Stage = A central stage which is surrounded by audience on all its sides. The
One set = its one location and it never changes.
Box set = Trying to recreate a room, you have 2 or 3 rooms.
Multi Set = Images come from the same place. The scene is on wheels, you can change the scenes by rolling them out.
Unit Set = One set, there are small things you can add or change so it changes the location. You can show location by not having to take the whole set out.
· They are in a great hall with a high platform, with two royal chairs and stairs leading to the main stage.
· There is another additional platform where the princess and the wizard stand.
· In the hall, bellow, knights and ladies are watching, they are audience of the presentation.
· Throne chairs
· There could be columns for decoration and also paintings in the hall.
· For the two staircases, there is a royal red carpet.
· Castle windows with a view behind it.
· There could be a marble floor.
· There are noble chairs for knights and ladies.
· At the entrance there could be a small gate.
· Large lamps at the ceiling.
DESCRIPTION OF SET